Add to Technorati Favorites

computer search

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Canon Pixma MX850 Office All-In-One Printer (2436B002)

Canon Pixma MX850 Office All-In-One Printer (2436B002)

This printer is an upgrade to my Canon Pixma iP6000. The iP6000 is excellent for printing photos as well as all daily stuff. I was concerned that a multi-function printer would not print photo's as well. I was wrong!!!

This multi-function printer is as good, maybe even a little better at photos than the iP6000 was. I have only had it a couple of days, so I have not tried everything out yet. Regular print quality is excellent. Copying is great. Scanning should come out just as good as copying, but I've yet to try it. Photo printing is excellent.

If your looking at this just remember to consider its size. I don't think it's really any bigger than most other all-in-ones but it is bigger than my last printer.

I went with the MX850 for 2 reasons. (1) Networking capability and (2) Canon technology. I am very pleased with my decision!!
The set-up went without any problems at all. The first computer I hooked it up to is a desktop running XP home via USB. Installed perfectly.
Next was a laptop running Vista via network. NOTE: As instructed by the instructions you must attach the USB cable to the FIRST computer that is being installed on the network before you connect it via the network. After it is completely installed you no longer need that USB connection. It will connect via the network. Yes, my laptop is connected wirelessly. It works great!!! For any additional computers on the network all you have to do is install the software and connect it via the network. NO USB required for all additional network computers. The installation software is very easy to understand. There are only 3 install options. (1) Install to computer via dedicated USB connection. (2) Install FIRST computer on a network (must use USB this ONE time only). (3) Install additional computers on network. Thats it...

As I said it's only been a couple of days so I have yet to try everything out, but so far NO disappointments. It seems to be a very well built simple to use machine. Software seems to be running fine on XP and Vista. Not sure where the pricing will go on this unit but, Amazon dropped their price $45 only a couple days after I ordered it. I was happy at full retail, but at $235 you can't go wrong !!!

The one thing I do recommend is to use Canon photo paper when printing photos. I found that I got the best results this way. That was on the iP6000, but I'm sure the MX850 will be the same way.

Good luck with your purchase. Hope this helps a little.

EDIT:
It has been a few more days since original install.

During set-up on another computer on the network it would not install. I called tech support for help. The problem was my computer NOT the printer. Tech support was great!!!!!! They walked me through step by step checking everything till we found the problem. Canon has their support in the US and they have a dedicated department for networking. It was actually a pleasure calling them for help. Usually I hate to call for support. You never know where the call is being routed. Very nice to know you can get quick easy help if needed.
Also since I got a chance to play a little more with the printer I discovered how quick it is. I was happy with the iP6000 print speed, but the MX850 makes me realize how slow it was. I didn't time it, but it printed a 4x6 photo very quickly!! Another nice feature is the door where the paper comes out will open automatically when you print.

So far no regrets!!! Don't be afraid to call tech support if needed. They are great!

No comments: